Monday, May 11, 2009

The Gift I Owed My Mother.


I had been trying to think of a good Mother's Day gift to give to my Mom for weeks. I could think of nothing. The only things I could think of were the horrible deeds I did to my Mom when I was a teenager (I'm already starting to regret that time period) and was determined to make this Mother's Day present special. Well, thankfully my brother Chad and sister TeriAnn provided me with a way to meet my goal.

They wanted to put together a book for my Mom from all of her children. So each page of the book consisted of a letter from each one of my siblings (written to my Mom) and the opposite page held pictures of each kid growing up. This was my chance to tell her how much she meant to me and how sorry I was for all the crappy things I did. Well, I thought my letter turned out pretty well, so I wanted to share it with everyone (I'm sure my Mom wouldn't mind).



Mom,
Here is the present I have been wanting to give you, but my stubbornness did not allow. Here are all the 'thank you's you deserved that I didn't give you:


Thank you for talking to me when I was silent.


Thank you for believing in me when I lacked confidence.


Thank you for your unselfishness when I could only think of myself.


Thank you for your help when I took you for granted.


Thank you for laughing at my jokes when they weren't funny.


Thank you for being the best mother when I was the worst daughter.


Thank you for doing my hair especially when you knew I would take it out.


Thank you for comforting me when I pushed you away.


Thank you for helping with my projects when you did most of the work and received none of the credit.


Thank you for accepting my apology when I didn't give one.


Thank you for loving me, even when I didn't love you back.


Thank you for humoring me when I gave you suggestions.


Thank you for the advice that I didn't take.


Thank you for your kindness when all I did was hurt you.


Thank you for your testimony when mine was shaky.


Thank you for your time when I didn't give you any.


Thank you for your smiles when I could only frown.


Thank you for the family traditions even when I didn't participate.


But most of all, thank you for never giving up on me when I have so many times.


I know this doesn't begin to cover all the horrible things that I have done, but I have a whole lifetime to make up for it...and teenage daughters to raise that will be just like me. I hope you remember these 'thank you's when I forget to say them. But I always want you to remember that I love you, Mom...even when I don't say it...or show it.


Happy Mother's Day.

Love,
Ashlee


This morning I received a phone call from my Mom with her reassurance that I was not a bad child. She still won't admit that I was horrible.

What a great example of a mother.
I hope I can be half the mother she is for me.

All the best to you and your mother.

2 comments:

  1. Ashlee! all I can say is Amen sister! (lame to steal your phrase...but it said it all) That is an amazing note to your mom! Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you ashlee. you could only hope for a girl like you. only that she talks more hahaha

    ReplyDelete