Saturday, January 16, 2010

Recommendation

I love "self-help" books. When you find me reading, (or listening to audio books...also my favorite) 95% of the time the book will try to help you in some sort of subject. So this book I'm about to recommend is no exception.

The book:



(image from: www.5lovelanguages.com)


How I heard of it: I was listening to a motivational speaker who specializes in the mortgage industry talk about how he "made it" (as in become super successful) in the mortgage world. I was prepared to hear the typical answers consisting of: "I worked 20 hour days" or "I didn't listen to the pessimists" or "I was persistent", etc. which are all well and good, but his real answer shocked me. He said the three sources that made him so successful was his religion, some organizational book, and lastly the The Five Love Languages. My thoughts: Really?! How in the world did a book about love languages (whatever they are) help you to become so successful in the mortgage industry?!?! So I asked for the book for Christmas (as an audio book, of course).


What it's about: Pretty much how to keep the love in your marriage alive. Gary Chapman, the author of said book, believes there are five ways (languages) someone can express love to their spouse. They are:
  • Quality Time
  • Words of Affirmation
  • Gifts
  • Acts of Service
  • Physical Touch
Mr. Chapman believes the key to a successful marriage is finding the love language that matches with your spouse and expressing your love through that channel. It's a great book! Cheesy at times, but overall it really struck home. Here is what we (Bart and I) have discovered so far:

Bart's love language: Gifts
Ashlee's love language: Acts of Service

And you don't have to read or listen to it just once...I'm working on my second take and still discovering things I didn't hear the first time.


Now if you're still wondering how in the world my motivational speaker used this book to become successful in the mortgage industry, let me enlighten you. He was able to apply this theory to others around him, therefore showing them (co-workers, clients, friends, etc.) how he cared for them. Pretty ingenious I must say.

So, enjoy! I hope it helps you.

All the Best.

No comments:

Post a Comment